The American Heart Association recommends people age 20 or over have their cholesterol checked every four to six years.
If you don’t see a doctor regularly or are trying to manage costs and want to get your labs drawn in a budget-friendly facility (compared to hospitals!), Test Smartly Labs can help!
How is cholesterol testing conducted?
The cholesterol test is a blood test, also referred to as the complete fasting lipoprotein. It’s performed using a blood draw, and you must fast for 8 hours before the test (AKA complete fasting.)
We recommend scheduling testing in the morning – and we can make sure you get in and out of our office quickly.
If you or your doctor want other panels run in addition to cholesterol (like CMP), we will collect all of the blood samples necessary run the panels together… no need for multiple pokes.
Common Cholesterol/Lipid Panel
Our Cholesterol/Lipid Profile Comprehensive Panel tests:
- Lipoprofile NMR for LDL Particle Size (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance)
- Apolipoprotein B
- Lipid Panel with LDL:HDL Ratio, VLDL Calculation
- Cholesterol, Total
- HDL (High-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (HDL-C)
- LDL (Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (LDL-C)
- Tryglycerides (part of lipid profile)
What does a cholesterol test analyze?
The cholesterol test will analyze your blood for:
- HDL (good) cholesterol (higher is better)
- LDL (bad) cholesterol (lower is better)
- Triglycerides (lower is better)
We will provide you with a report that you can review with your medical doctor.